Join us on our mission to connect the next generation with the opportunities, insights and advice to succeed as the workforce of tomorrow.Apply Now
Join Bright Network as a Software Engineer
Click here to apply or scroll down to read more!
About Bright Network
At Bright Network, we connect ambitious young people from all backgrounds with the brightest career opportunities. Our leading platform provides members with the tools, advice and insights they need to access brilliant opportunities at global companies - ensuring the next generation finds the future they deserve and businesses identify the most powerful pipeline of tomorrow’s talent.
Bright Network is the UK’s leading website for graduate career advice and job search, with very high levels of engagement and net promoter score. We are very focused on user-centered design with the undergraduate member experience at the heart of everything we do.
We have an engineering team of 11, based in Edinburgh and across the UK: 10 full stack engineers, 1 frontend engineer and a product manager. We are looking for another software engineer to join the team to work across a range of projects both existing platforms and greenfield. We currently work in two scrum teams of five people, with people choosing what they work on with flexibility to change teams fairly frequently.
We’ve worked really hard to build the engineering team and culture that we want to work in, and we all believe we’ve built something very special. We are focused on trying to do world-class engineering, using the right tools and processes to build high-quality, scalable and user-centered products and platforms. We schedule time every sprint to work on technical debt and invest the effort in automating away the boring stuff.
Engineering culture & best practices
- Continuous deployment to production
- Metrics and data driven decision making
- Highly flexible working culture – a focus on doing great work and achieving great results with less on focus on working hours or how you do this
- Incredibly autonomous engineering team – the company feed into the long term roadmap priorities but engineering and product then have autonomy to deliver as they see fit
- We allocate at least 10% of every sprint to technical debt, architecture and refactoring
The technology stack
- Node or Django backend
- TypeScript React
- REST and GraphQL APIs
- Elastic Search
- Blueprint JS
- Tailwind CSS
- Jest & Cypress
- All hosting on AWS with Terraform infrastructure-as-code
- Continuous production deployment on all projects
The ideal candidate
- You’ll have 5+ years’ engineering experience designing and implementing complex web applications
- You work efficiently and productively, relying on continuous integration and automation to iterate faster
- You have high expectations & take pride in your work, focusing on writing maintainable code of high quality
- Does not need specific experience in all of our technology stack – we prefer great engineers who work well in a team and love solving problems, and can take the time to learn new technologies as needed.
We can offer you
- A high-growth and rapidly scaling business (we recently secured £3.5 million in funding)
- A flat & transparent structure with a values-driven & collaborative culture (which you can hear more about here!)
- A culture of flexibility & trust where you have access to an unlimited holiday allowance & flexible / hybrid-working policies
- £50 per month flexible wellbeing budget to be spent on the wellbeing benefits of your choice through our benefits platform
- Annual company-wide bonus scheme
- Enhanced pension contribution through Aviva
- Private healthcare plan
- Enhanced parental leave policy
- Sales introduction & employee referral schemes
- A culture of constant growth & improvement, with monthly lunch & learns & ad-hoc training budget for team or individual training
- Regular team socials including our annual full team off-site, Christmas Party and other celebrations!
- Salary : Highly competitive
- Location : Edinburgh – preference for 1 day a week in the George Street office when restrictions allow
- Start Date : ASAP