Frontend Software Engineer
Join us on our mission to connect the next generation with the opportunities, insights and advice to succeed as the workforce of tomorrow.Apply Now
Join Bright Network as our Frontend Software Engineer
Click here to apply or scroll down to read more!
About Bright Network
The Bright Network is the UK’s leading website for graduate career advice and job search, with very high levels of engagement and net promoter score. We are very focused on user-centered design with the undergraduate member experience at the heart of everything we do.
We have an engineering team of 10, based in Edinburgh and across the UK: 9 full stack engineers and 1 frontend engineer. We are looking for another frontend engineer to join the team to take the lead on frontend architecture across multiple existing platforms and also greenfield projects.
Two example greenfield projects we have coming up:
- Talent Tracker – this is an analytics platform for our graduate recruitment clients which provides them data on student activity on their jobs and profiles on the Bright Network website. This greenfield project is to add self-serve digital advertising functionality to Talent Tracker allowing clients to create their own advertising campaigns to target students of particular profiles. This is analogous to the Google Adwords or Facebook self-serve advertising platforms.
- Dashboard – this is our personalised dashboard for members to access careers advice and recommended jobs. We’ve built the foundations but are looking for a react expert to advise on any needed refactoring and to continue to add and iterate as we get feedback from our members during alpha and beta testing.
We’ve worked really hard to build the engineering team and culture that we want to work in, and we all believe we’ve built something very special. We are focused on trying to do world-class engineering, using the right tools and processes to build high-quality, scalable and user-centered products and platforms. We schedule time every sprint to work on technical debt and invest the effort in automating away the boring stuff.
Engineering culture & best practices
- Continuous deployment to production
- Metrics and data driven decision making
- Highly flexible working culture – a focus on doing great work and achieving great results with less on focus on working hours or how you do this
- Incredibly autonomous engineering team – the company feed into the long term roadmap priorities but engineering and product then have autonomy to deliver as they see fit
- We allocate at least 10% of every sprint to technical debt, architecture and refactoring
The technology stack
- TypeScript React
- REST and GraphQL APIs
- Node or Django backend
- Elastic Search
- Blueprint JS
- Tailwind CSS
- Jest & Cypress
- All hosting on AWS with Terraform infrastructure-as-code
- Continuous deployment on all projects
The ideal candidate
- You’ll have 5+ years’ frontend engineering experience designing and implementing complex web applications
- You’ll have experience in TypeScript and React
- You work efficiently and productively, relying on continuous integration and automation to iterate faster
- You have high expectations & take pride in your work, focusing on writing maintainable code of high quality
- Does not need specific experience all of our technology stack – we prefer great engineers who work well in a team and love solving problems, and can take the time to learn new technologies as needed.
We can offer you
- A high-growth and rapidly scaling business (we recently secured £3.5 million in funding)
- A flat & transparent structure with a values-driven & collaborative culture (which you can hear more about here!)
- A culture of flexibility & trust where you have access to an unlimited holiday allowance & flexible / hybrid-working policies
- £50 per month flexible wellbeing budget to be spent on the wellbeing benefits of your choice through our benefits platform
- Annual company-wide bonus scheme
- Enhanced pension contribution through Aviva
- Private healthcare plan
- Enhanced parental leave policy
- Sales introduction & employee referral schemes
- A culture of constant growth & improvement, with monthly lunch & learns & ad-hoc training budget for team or individual training
- Regular team socials including our annual full team off-site, Christmas Party and other celebrations!
- Salary : Highly competitive
- Location : Edinburgh – preference for 1 day a week in the office when restrictions allow
- Start Date : ASAP